Saturday, March 14, 2009

Anthony Pettus and Ray Owens

They were having a service here in South Bend last night with Anthony Pettus and Ray Owens preaching at Second Baptist Church in this service that's being taken across the country; like a tour or something. Ray Owens is the pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church in South Bend. Anthony Pettus is the former pastor of Macedonia and he currently pastors Greater Progressive Baptist Church in Fort Wayne, Indiana; easily one of the most progressive churches in the state of Indiana. Upon hearing of my Uncle Paul's passing and learning that I would be in the city; Ray Owens invited me to preach in the service with Anthony Pettus in his stead. I was really appreciative at the opportunity and here's why; Five of my six sisters would get to hear me, both Anthony's mother and my mother would see and hear their sons preach, my four Uncles, two Aunts and cousins from everywhere would be in the service. Pettus' relatives would be there as well. So it turns out to be like a reunion for Pettus and me. We appreciate Ray Owens, a man who is is secure in who he is but more importantly in whose he is. So of course I accepted the invitation and word got out that Anthony Pettus and I would be preaching. I have been preaching in South Bend for the last twenty years and this is one of the towns that once people know you and love the preacher, you're in. So last night the pastor and former pastor and one of the favorite sons of Macedonia Baptist Church, of South Bend, Indiana were in the pulpit at the same time. You could feel in the air how excited everyone was. Great night. Mount Olivet Baptist Chuch will meet Ray Owens and Anthony Pettus.

No comments: