Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Saint Paul - Memphis Trustee

I shall never forget the night of the pastoral election at Saint Paul Baptist Church, 1144 E. Mclemore Ave, September 25th, 1989 in Memphis, Tennessee. One reason being; my daughter was born that night! I left the hospital and got to the church after the election was over and the people had vacated the premises to find the chairman of the Trustee Board Mr Charles Sims Jr. anxious and excited to tell me that I had been elected by an unanimous vote to serve the Historic Saint Paul Baptist Church. Charles Sims Jr. was then and continues to be one of the most successful African American men that I have ever met in my life; and at this point, I have met many! He was probably the largest living member of the congregation and yet one of the most down to earth men ever. Charles Sims Jr. is a Certified Financial Planner and CEO of The Sims Financial Group, Inc. as well as an active member of the community. He has dedicated his life to helping individuals and businesses build their financial futures. Charles was responsible for the leading the St Paul Church in their Mortgage Burning Celebration when there was no pastor at the church. I am happy that through the medium of Facebook we reconnected after nearly 15 years or more. If I could have had a favorite member in Saint Paul Baptist Church it would have been Charles Sims Jr. I was 25 years old when elected and Charles Sims Jr. couldn't have been any more supportive if I was 65. I am happy to have connected with him tonight; it made me so happy and we will break bread together the latter part of this month when I'm in Memphis for the Mount Moriah East Baptist Church Super Sunday as featured speaker. More about that soon. After all of these years, Charles Sims Jr is still on top of his game and living for the Lord.

No comments: