Tuesday, April 14, 2009

J.R. Richardson

Today is probably one of the my toughest days in Rochester with Mount Olivet Baptist Church. Yesterday my first member of Mount Olivet that I have developed a relationship passed. While I have had several funerals since being here and done eulogies; this is different! J.R. Richardson was one of the first Deacons in the Church to really get close to me; come and see me each Sunday morning, full of compliments, and often lots of jokes. One of the frightening things about new places is relationships and/or the lack thereof. J.R. embraced my family and me very quickly, supported me to the fullest, enjoyed the friendly and private dress competition that we had from the day I candidated until Easter Sunday; when J.R. said to me; "you're sharp, but I got you today," and I told him, yeah, but wait til next Sunday! Well, next Sunday J.R. wont be with us in the Mount Olivet Sanctuary because the Lord called him home yesterday. My first member that I knew and loved and cherished and laughed with and watched him glow as his son and grandchildren were coming into the Church... We baptized his son, grandson and granddaughter while he helped me into and out of the pool. Aaaaaaah....... Man......He worked so diligently with his Family Care Team...... The first Family Care Team Leader to be presented to the congregation......and he wore a somewhat brown/mustard looking colored suit....Doubled Breasted....and I got him that day... .I say J.R.. where in the world did you get a Double Brested Suit in 2009...... ???? Wow....Wow....Wow.... I know that these things happen....and I have done this for 23 years...... It doesn't get any easier... It may get harder.... The older you get and the more true of relationships you establish, the harder it is when there is absolutely no warning whatsoever! But...... J.R. told me he was sick........When he was at Church last week.. But I didn't think SICK, SICK.....

No comments: