Thursday, February 12, 2009

Conference in the Dark

Last night probably tops off every event that has happened with me since being in Rochester. First, we have like a dozen and a half or more of learning opportunities here at Mount Olivet! 10 Discipleship Classes, Men and Youth classes, various Bible Studies and of course Sunday School. The learning opportunities are available everyday except Friday and on most days, more than once or twice daily; some days as many as four times, always morning, noon and evening classes. Mount Olivet could easily have one of the strongest Christian Education Ministries in the country for a church similar in size and strength. Last night was planned as Pastor's Teacher's and Facilitators' Conference night, where I would meet with ALL of the teachers and assistant teachers within the Ministry and teach, give some guidance, instructions, encouragement, hear questions, and address any and every need that the instructors may have had, ok? simple huh?
Those of you who know my teaching style, know that I am the power point presentating presenter! They told us in Seminary to always Present it Pretty. Thus, I had the pretty presentation ready for presenting. Mrs Ingram set up a beautiful table of refreshments. (Now everything that Mount Olivet does include food.. even many of the Discipleship Classes) and like about a half hour before starting time, the Lights went out! Boom! Dark! Out! Needless to say, there went the Power Point Presentation.... I just hope that I had already saved the data before the power went out! About 40 + people arrived for the Conference... They pulled out the candles, lit the place up and the Conference went on as if Lights never failed! Among the many nuggets that I tried to share with our Teachers and Facilitators; I really shared my appreciation for them working in the Dark! They Blew me away last night!
Now the lights popped on for a few minutes during the Conference a couple of times, and off again, nevertheless; The Conference went on as planned and once again I got to see My Church for who they really are! They are wonderful people!

No comments: